Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ich bin ein kuh

The heading means 'I am a cow,' and these were the first words of German I (Kati) remember speaking. Fortunately, I learned a few other phrases from my German friends and we have been able to navigate around Vienna. We left Prague early yesterday with a plan. We were taking the train to Hohenau, which is on the border between the Czech Republic and Austria, so that we could use our railpass the rest of the way. See, the Czech Republic doesn't take the pass so we had to find a way around that, and we thought we had. Of course, we get to Hohenau and it is in the middle of nowhere and we get on a train going the wrong way. After some extreme finagling on our part, we manage to get onto the correct train and land in Vienna, only a few hours later than expected. Our hostel is nice, but not as homey as the one in Edinburgh- we miss Steve. Today we walked to the Schonbrun Palace (Vienna's Versailles). It was gorgeous but very hot, so many breaks were necessary. Kari and I did something very characteristic of us, we spent the day as children. We went to Europe's oldest zoo AND the amusement park (very creepy I have to admit). It was a great day but we are rather tired and extremely dirty so it is time to wash up and explore what Vienna is like at night (safely of course, mom and dad). We miss you all!

8 comments:

colin said...

The amusement park is so creepy! I loved that place.

Enjoy the nightlife. And I believe the awesome bookstore with a good selection of English titles is on Mariahilfer Strasse.

Bis bald!

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!! I can speak german toO!!!! Eins fiy feer foomph something something oct noin something!!!!! lOve you

missing you

love babe :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to Vienna. I love the range of your activities. I am off to my studio. Miss you. Love, Mom(Tobin)

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to Vienna. I love the range of your activities. I am off to my studio. Miss you. Love, Mom(Tobin)

Anonymous said...

Hi! So glad to learn you found the train going the right way. I look forward to hearing more about Vienna. I'd also like a photo of you carrying the back packs! Travel should be a bit easier now that you can use the eurail pass. Enjoy! Love, Kari's Mom

Anonymous said...

Sis. don't ask how but i might be coming to europe and meeting up with john for 10 days. i have a rough plan to fly in to paris on the 6th then go to brussels and then to amsterdam. the trip would be from the 6th-16th. i was looking at your itinerary and i may be in some of the same places at the same time as you. contact me through email: jwsklut@suffolk.edu.
Right now i'm planning everything so who knows if it'll work out. love u

Unknown said...

Wow... Two things shock me about your trip so far-

1. The amount of physical activity. (Kari's description of the struggle up Arthur's Chair - freakin' hilarious! Oh how I can visualize you two hobbling along..)

2. No mention of food/drink....Czech brewskies? Austrian Strudels? Come on! Without my cook I have to live vicariously through this, and so far I've had Pizza Hut...?? I am quite disappointed.

Other than that, you guys are doing a wonderful documentation job! LOVE the fun facts. Note to self - never ever say I want a stiff drink! So keep on truckin'... no really... don't come back.. this two-extra-wardrobe thing is working out greaaaat for me... teehee.

Miss yous

Anonymous said...

Kari, you know it took me a while to learn how to send a comment.
I am enjoying the trip so far. This is my way to go to Europe. I can understand everything you say and I don't have to try to figure out how much money I have.
I am really looking forward to Italy.
Love you,
Kay